D-Link Wireless Router in Action in My House

set up wireless router

Since I bought a new laptop last month, I added to my collection, a new so called gadget – “wireless router”, in order to (1) reduce messy confusing wires in my house and (2) enable both laptops (me & my wife’s) online at the same time.

After work, I went to Citect IT shop at Taman Universiti, Skudai and asked for the wireless router since I already have the broadband streamyx modem. The not really friendly guy behind the counter offered me Aztech and D-Link. I asked to check on the D-Link wireless router. To be honest, I have very little comprehension and knowledge about the wireless router. I have seen one of the D-Link models at my brother’s apartment and I was very pleased with the signal and performance. Hence, from brother’s recommendation, I chose D-Link DIR-300 wireless G router and paid MYR135 for it.

The router has high speed Wireless LAN connection and support both IEEE 802.11b and 802.11g. It can go up to 54Mbps with wireless G series. As most other wireless router, the internet connection can be shared with 4 build in port switch.

wireless-ap-network

At home, without further delay, I immediately opened the box and worked on the installation together with my other half. We followed the step by step guide in the CD installer and after about 30 minutes, we were done. Both of the laptops were connected to the wireless router and broadband modem. We were very delighted after successfully installing the wireless router.However, we noticed that our line is still not yet secured. I have to figure out how to set the security and password. So far, I have not yet search on how to set the security and password. Anybody want guide me? You can save me some time researching it in Google….

Wireless Router

After this I’m aiming for wireless mouse and wireless printer. I wonder if there is wireless power supply for the laptop!!?? What about you? What will be your next gadget?

CONGRAT BRO!! really glad that u’ve finally bought the device & succesfully installed it.. but some correction, the one i used isnt dlink, it’s aztech (u shud refer your prev post before assuming so… haha)..

pswd for your wireless network can be enabled by logging in to the web manager, thru your browser.. go to the setting, choose security type (WEP/WPA) and create the WEP/WPA key in hexadecimal format.. anyone want to access your wifi later will need to enter this key..

try it bro!!

Ops…!!! Yeahh…you’re right….OK…mm shame on me…
    I’ll try it…maybe tomorrow…Now, I can’t…need to sleep early because at 1AM I have KRT = kumpulan rukun tetangga.

forgot to add that yes, wireless power supply do exist!! it’s better known as witricity (wireless electricity).. the concept works but not sure when it’s going to be commercialised.. (cant wait to get rid of my cables & plugs.. huhu!!)

Eh…Ishkk…is that for real…? Is it true….Witricity… is it like wireless electricity? Need to do research on that…

5. noris says:

my next gadget will be wireless mouse+keyboard. Ever since I got my hands on HDTV, it has become mainly for PC monitor. Puas ati woo! Currently got limited by wired mouse+keyboard. Kinda hurt my eyes staring at TV from a short distance.

any recommendations for media OS? something that can boot up very fast and no need to shut down properly (like VHS) with basic functionality of home entertainment.

@ Noris,

Very interesting… Even more interesting…you’ve got HDTV…That will come for next year’s budget for me….or maybe next 2 years…

am baru jer nak tanya bos am camner nak setup wireless.. dan am pun bercadang nak me wirelesskan streamyx am… so nak memang sedang survey AP yang boleh tarik paling tinggi… selain yang zaki pakai ni ada lagi tak yang boleh tarik 100%…

i’m looking for one as well, stilll thinking whether should i go for a higher end model or just stick with aztech and dlink. tapi asyik balik lambat je, by the time keluar, kedai dah tutup.

kat sini (pcdepot), this model is RM10 cheaper.

anyway, untuk security setup, try this link

or kau bawak je pi office and suruh tech support to setup
    5-10 min je.

9. Qaiyum says:

Oh.. Kat Rumah Pun Berguna Jugak Bende Ni? Ingat Kat Office Or Area Yang Ader Wireless Access Je..

Leh Try Nie..

@ Am,

AP tinggi..? mmm…sorry, I don’t really understand the AP stuff. If anybody can help answer it, I appreciate it very much. Sorry ye Am…

@ Azwan,

Well, I also return home late, but that day, I forced myself to go to the shop and bought the wireless router. If not there’ll be a lot of wires around everywhere…

Thanks for the link bro.

@ Qaiyum,

Of course it is equally useful at home especially when a lot of people use internet. Try and get your self one. You’ll love it.

i am sing the dlink wireless modem cum router. all in one. memang puas hati. saya beli since 2004 lagi. so far so good. heheheh 🙂

@ KNizam,

Well, that’s good… I’m not having any complains using DLink wireless router. I hope there’ll be no problem…he he 🙂

13. zaki blogjer says:

I use dlink also, it has build in modem, so i only need 1 stuff messing up my desk. Cost me 220, but worth the money

Off topic, there is milk bottle beside the router. It can reduce the the signal strength!!

just kidding

14. megat says:

Great! Jeles la camni. Erm… try to shoot from AP MMHE to my house wakaka.

15. Aizat says:

hehe.. same lah pulak.. kat kampung saye pon gune wireless router dlink.. tapi tak berape ingat model mane sebab kadang2 je balik kampung bwk laptop online kat sane.. abang saye pulak memang gune desktop untuk online. so saye beli wireless router supaya senang nak share connection.. hehe.. tapi saye beli rm280.. apesal mahal ek..

@ Zaki Blogjer,

Yours are a wireless modem router which I think might be slightly expansive then a wireless router.

That milk bottle actually enhance the signal. I did test with and without the bottle. When the bottle is position at that point, surfing became faster!!!
    he..he…

@ Megat,

Where is your house? I’ll try and do that…he he…

@ Aizat,

Maybe, you bought the wireless router earlier. That’s probably the reason it is slightly expansive…Think so…What do you think?

17. Aizat says:

Yeah.. i think thats true.. I bought it last year.. for the new year they have reduce the price.. in fact i bought that wireless router at batu pahat, the price should be different than the big city like johor bahru..

btw, i like to read the second last paragraph.. it is very romantic of you working together to set up the wireless router.. i wonder when i will be just like you two.. *wink*

@ Aizat,

Ha he hu hu….. don’t worry… You’ll get married one day…pretty soon and do those stuff together…. 🙂

19. Aizat says:

yeah! Can’t wait to experience those days.. btw.. my wireless router model is dlink dsl-g604t. just ask my bro on yahoo messenger. it is the same, a little different or just the same series.

AP stand for access point…(wireless device) so need to find AP yang boleh tarik connection sama banyak macam kita pakai internet cable..

@ Aizat,

Oh, it is different from mine. Sabar, Be patient….kumpul duit dan amik kursus kawen…then nikah la….

@ Am,

Yes, thanks for the info…Aku pun baru jumpa pasal tu….tapi tak sure la yang ni AP dia berapa….actually tak kisah pun…sbb yang pakai nya 2 orang je…he he… Am, thenks for the software….

22. zaki blogjer says:

How about the biscuit behind the notebook? Same purpose?

I prefer Linksys initially, but Dlink is the most suitable for my wallet

23. webworm says:

Zaki…looks like you work towards IT geek ! Why NOT ?

24. kirin says:

hi .. i’m using aztech … wireless router and modem .. price about 250 at low yat…so far no problem …have been using for 6 months… wireless more convenient if we’re using laptop…nampak ke botol susu belakang laptop tu? kang anak nangis tak dapat cari lak he he 🙂

@ Zaki Blogjer,

Oh…the biscuit (love letter strawberry flavour) has nothing to do with the strength signal. Only the milk bottle can assist and speed up the strength… 🙂

@ Webworm,

Yeaahhh…. I did not expect that to come… the interest just came into me… I found it interesting …Yea…why not!!! But my main career is still in chemical engineering line…

@ Kirin,

Definitely…It is very convenient having wireless super power in the house and outside the house…Can work anywhere…

Oh yea…about the ‘botol susu’….i purposely placed it there to enhance the G signal…. 🙂

or itu botol susu bapak dia ? wakakakakaka.. btw did you managed to get your router secured.

i still hv not decide whether to get only a router or a the one with built it. less messy with all in one, but i already hv a modem, macam buang duit aje kalau beli all in one.

@ Azwan,

Botol susu bapak!!!?? I don’t need that bro…;)

Have not yet get the router secured yet…. My neighbour, selang 1 rumah, sms me at 1 am yesterday and said he received my wireless signal.
    He say, maybe he can share the cost with me…
    Well, that’s not a bad idea….but I need to work on the security first….

If you’ve got the modem, then just get a wireless router like me…no need to waste money…

ha..ha.. mana tahu bapak dia suka hisap susu anak? 🙂

anyway, even though he wants to share, better get it secured. kalau tidak, others hijack, then your connection will be slow.

@ Azwan,

Bapak tak main la hisap botol suss…hi hi…

To have more control and flexibillity, it is better to own personal wireless internet… ain’t it 🙂

30. webworm says:

OK…Hoping you can spent more time in Chem Eng World. OK !

bro, kabare?? finally back to virtual world after a week absense.. laptop dah kong.. kena beli baru la lepas ni.. skrg ni pinjam laptop office dulu sbb keje byk terbengkalai.. luckily dah backup sikit data kat external… baru appreciate adanya external drive.. sblm ni invest 200++ tp tak nampak lagi kegunaannya.. guess u need to add that to your 2008 list..

@ Webworm,

Will do…

@ Budeen,

Waras….Buy yourself a new laptop soon. Are you asking me to get an external drive? I’m targeting other gadgets…

33. zaki blogjer says:

Budeen, buy Dell (promo sikit). Tapi aku sendiri pun pki acer. Tak mampu pakai vista. Guna lesen XP lama balik

@ Zaki Blogjer,

Tak mampu pakai Vista sebab mahal or sebab dia slow? atau other reasons?

35. Cikgu Azleen says:

That’s kinda cheap MYR135.. Guess I shall get one too..

@ Cikgu Azleen,

Yep…you should get one. Very handy and yo can reduce wires in your house.

37. Aizat says:

I think this is the router featured in the chip malaysia magazine.. its is the same because of the green lamp symbol that chip say as people wont know what the symbol is actually means

@ Aizat,

Well, I don’t have any idea at all on that. The important thing is that I’m wireless…. 😉

39. techguide says:

have u secure ur wireless signal?

other people outside ur house can use ur internet freely and sometimes can hack ur laptop

@ Techguide,

Yep, I have secured them. I fixed the password but the problem now is I forgot the password!!!

41. soleh says:

Salam,
    Yeah its great to have Router, I also got one. Probably can make our home as a cyber cafe with full of laptop..hehe just kidding.
    Just an opinion to you, if you want to buy wireless mouse buy the one which has its own charger. I got the one using battery, really not recommend..huhu

@ Soleh,

Oh… thanks a lot for you recommendation. How much does a mouse with a charger cost?

43. Bent says:

That kind of thing impress me a lot here..I try to get one end of this year 🙂

44. rn says:

Salam,
    Need your help how to configure D-link DIR300 to my Billion modem at home. At lost how to connect to internet. Tq

45. faris! says:

yeah , wireless router make internet is more easy 🙂

yeadhi

1. January 28, 2008

Buy generic soma….

Buy generic soma….

2. February 3, 2008

[…] house, our IT department have 3 laptops (2 in good shape and 1 is in ICU), 1 PC, 1 broadband modem, 1 wireless router and zero printer. Most of the time, the laptops will be occupied by me and my wife for doing some […]

3. August 10, 2008

[…] laptop would not be complete without the support system – the streamyx modem and D-Link wireless router. They have equally perform beyond my expectation. I have no complaints on them. However, I am quite […]