General Election Dillemma

Looking at the title you people might think that I am giving a very serious thought on who to vote for the coming election. Should I choose our long ruling Barisan Nasional or opt for something different to see whether they can lead our beloved country well. Ahhh…I don’t really care actually. I am not really interested in our country’s political issue…maybe not yet.

Driving from home to my kids’ kindergarten everyday is actually a very quiet and private time to chat with my first and second born, dedicated for them to fire away any question in their mind, as long as it doesn’t disturb my driving. It is usually either filled with Marsya’s voice singing all the kiddy songs she learnt at school or the Monday till Sunday countdown, screaming her heart out. Ikhwan is more subtle and quiet, maybe because he’s a boy. He doesn’t always enumerate and parade what’s been taught at school, in fact it’s quite hard to even make him tell us what’s been happening at school. Two different little personalities, aren’t they.

bendera pas

While I was driving last Monday, on the way back from school, Ikhwan suddenly popped a question that left me bewildered for quite a moment. Guess what, he questioned me on what is up with all those flags hanging along our roadside at this time of the year. He’s never seen it before in his entire 5++ years of life of course. I found it really hard to explain what an election means to my little five year old. How can I put it in a very easy way to make him understand what those flags are for. My head was spinning for an answer but to no avail.

I was just hoping that he would drop the question and forget about it. This is a absolutely a tough ordeal for a mother, not being able to answer a question from her son. Hmmm…

After deliberating in my head, I was saying to myself that if I don’t know how to put it in other way, just tell him what it is literally. The true meaning of election. Lastly, I just said:

‘Itu bendera Barisan Nasional, Pas dan Keadilan. Sekarang ni nak pilihanraya, kita kena pilih siapa jadi the next Perdana Menteri of Malaysia. Bendera tu suruh kita cross siapa yang kita suka.’ (Translation: Those are flags of Barisan Nasional, Pas and Keadilan. Now is the time of our country’s general election and we have to choose who got to be the next Prime Minister of Malaysia. The flags are telling us on who to vote/cross)

Surprisingly, he took it well, with an ‘oowwwhhh’. Yeaaa…he understand? I wonder. But that was it for Monday and I was relieved. I thought I have satisfied his curiosity, have answered the mind boggling question in his head and settled it once and for all. To my surprise the next day, he repeated the same question….my gosh. Here we go again. And I recite the same asnwer…..

Now he’s asking me: ‘Mommy dengan Daddy kena masuk party tu ye. Kena cross macam flag tu ye…’

What do you do if you were me….hahaha.

1. Aizat says:

Selamat mengundi!…

Nasib baik aku dah daftar.. bleh mengundi kot tahun nie..

@ Aizat,

Undi kat mana? Bijaklah mengundi…

susah gak soalan neh. hehehe kalau saya pun x leh nak jawab. tapi ada lagi soalan yg paling susah. bila budak2 tanya kenapa merah = berhenti. oren = berhati2 dan hijau = jalan kat traffic light ? camner nak jawab eh ? hehe

4. Megat says:

Sama je macam kes aku wakakaka.

@ Knizam,

He’e, itu anak aku macam paham lah… No problem.
    cuma, anak aku punya menteliti about seat belt…. kena pakai seat belt bila ada polis!!!!

@ Megat,

Oh…anak ko pun samalah ye?

Just tell them a story how autobots seleted optimus prime to be their leader. lebih kurang 🙂

got the package, thanks.

@ Azwan,

Oh yes…. Why we never thought of that? Thanks for the idea.

Glad you got the package safely. Boleh la save sikit minyak harapnya. Try for long distance.

8. sis zixlea says:

haha….it is quite difficult to answer a question from 5 years old boy….lucu laa ikhwan nih…..windu plak kat die…..nnti bile blk mesia kena make sure jupe all da 3 tentera darat n udara in ur house….

@ Rina,

Hmmm… ye lah tu. Bila nak balik mesia?

maybe it’s time to tech ur children about democracy…

11. NoktahHitam says:

Funny I posted the almost the same question here http://www.noktahhitam.com/barisan-nasional-opposition-party-flag-war.html

From small (or since he could understand a language), I always tell my youngest bro from adult’s perspective. I believe this will nurture his ‘lateral thinking’.

Most my friends tell me he talks like an adult (for a 10 year old). Which is what I intend to do, let him have his fun and at the same time, allow him to think the cause and effect.

@ Am,

We need to check the level of his maturity before teaching them about the topic.

@ NoktahHitam,

Yes, almost similar but not the same. Perhaps your brother’s level of thinking is far ahead of his age? Which is good. He’ll be matured pretty soon. And maybe get married at a younger age?!!! Nope…just kidding.

13. NoktahHitam says:

Hahaha. marry before the brother, that’ll be stupendous.

@ NoktahHitam,

Huhu…That will be super cool and awesome!!! 😉

15. Syam says:

@zakiyamani – kena ubah jawapan tp maksudnya sama..sebab dia budak2 lagi (ceh mcm la aku nie besar sgt) just cakap..setiap 5 tahun negara kita kena cari ketua baru, mcm dalam citer power rangers ketua dia kaler merah..sebab kengkawan dia semua pangkah merah, so kalau ayah pangkah hijau, next ketua nanti jadi la power rangers hijau 😀

@ Syam,

Mmm…My son love to watch Transformers. I think the Optimus Prime versus Megatron example is more representable… Obviously, Optimus Prime is green colour 😉

17. Syam says:

@ zaki – oh..mcm tu..selain dari transformer? kartun2 lain ada?