From Blogger.com to WordPress.org

I knew about blogging somewhere around August 2006 (that was after I installed a broadband in my house) and I immediately signed up with blogger which provided a free blogging tool. Since I love to write and share stuffs/information with people, I began blogging about my work which focuses to chemical engineering. After a week or two, I learned that people are making money from blogging. So I made a short research and found out that most people are making money from Google Adsense via blogging. Now, I think a lot of people knows and have a Google Adsense account.

Back then, I have zero basic knowledge on html. I have no eBook to refer to play around and adjust the look of my blog. After my Google adsense account successfully created, I was so excited. I know I can begin making money but the problem was, how I install those script codes. Well, I learned by trial and error; until I managed to get the format I desired. I diligently posted in my blog until I earned my first Adsense cheque in January 2007. I was really happy and excited on the fact that I’m earning in US dollar.

I never expected my blog (which is rather technical) to received overwhelming respond from the market. Organic traffic poured in and my subscribers increased gradually. Hence, I thought, it would be better to have my own domain and hosting. That was after I read John chows advice in his free ebook.

I bought my first hosting with what I thought an ample research. The space and bandwidth was extremely big (for a newbie like me), 10 GB and 110 GB respectively which I bought for RM198 per year. Now, I realized I should have bought cheaper and smaller space simply because the demand is not met yet.

That’s fine. I got few details and information from the hosting company and began my adventure in cpanel. My God, what is this…? Slowly I learned and explored. Luckily there is a tool called Fantastico. So, I installed my first wordpress blog using Fantastico and it was easy. This is the easiest way to install a wordpress blog. We can also manually install the blog but it certainly take more effort compared to Fantastico. The instruction in Fantastico is simple and easy to understand. If you’re lost, you can always refer to other blogger friends.

But then, I knew that there was other tool to upload and download the theme and plugins. Being so green in the webmaster’s world, I really don’t know anything abut FTP and so forth. That time, Mael, who was doing practical training at my work place thought me about FTPzilla. We went to a cyber cafΓ© and he gave me some wordpress and FTP tution. Thanks mael.

I played around and explored wordpress. Being so used to blogger.com, I found it so hard to comprehend wordpress. To me, Blogger.com was simpler and straight forward. I wonder, people have been saying that wordpress is the best and easiest blogging platform, but I just could not understand why they say so. Nevertheless, I continuously learn and began enjoy using wordpress.

Soon, I experienced a problem with my wordpress blog. Internal server error 500 appeared. I consulted with few people but still I could not solve the problem. Perhaps that time I gave up to early. I became fed up and just left the blog as it is. (If you face Internal Server Error 500 problem, you can refer to blogjer.com for some ideas to solve them).

After about 5 months leaving my wordpress blog, I have a second thought of getting it back in action. I deleted the blog. This was done from the cpanel via Fantastico. Then I set a new blog again with the same domain name. Though I have a number of posts in my previous blog, I don’t really mind losing them. I just wanted to start fresh. But….why did not I thought of deleting my blog before? Well, that is not the actual solution. It was rather an act to remove some bad experience from my memory and starting a new dynasty. That blog is the one you’re reading now.

If you are one of them who are currently using blogger.com platform, perhaps it’s time for you to move on to a new wordpress.org platform. It is far more superior than the other blogging platform. Thousands of theme and plugins dedicated to wordpress are available for us to us. If you’re scared, confuse, don’t know how to use wordpress, don’t worry… There’ll be a helping hand. I’ve been there and sometimes I faced problem with my blog and I’ll asked few other bloggers for help and ideas to solve the problems. All of them are helpful and I really appreciate it. Some blog discusses about setting your own domain and preparation required to set up a wordpress blog. You can also visit a wordpress forum like forum.easywordpress.com to discuss your problem.

If you’re looking for some sort of e-book, check out “How to develop money making niche-site with WordPress“. The e-book is basically meant to create a static website using WordPress platform but it does contain valuable basic informations about WordPress which will be useful for newbies.

I’m not a wordpress expert or guru, but if you have a problem, feel free to drop any questions in the comment area. I’ll try my best to assist. If I can’t, I believe there’re others who will offer a helping hand πŸ˜‰ .

thanks for the link love πŸ™‚

wordpress may be hard to digest at first try, but once you are it, you will be addicted .. like sex .. ha.. ha..

@ Azwan and blogger users…

Yes, it is initially difficult. But after some learning, it will be very easy and powerful.

3. zaki blogjer says:

Thanks for the link too. I jumped straight away to wordpress after doing some research. It is fun and addicted

@ Zaki Blogjer,

Don’t mention it. Well, I took a long time before deciding to jump into wordpress. But, I’m glad I made that decision. I love it now.

5. Abu71 says:

I have zero basic knowledge on html,dah ok la ni…he he…

@ abu71,

Yeahooo….we’re just the same. At least your English is improving πŸ™‚

7. aku guna blogspot jgk..cuma bila rasa ianya menyukarkan aku dan pembaca..aku beralih ke wpress πŸ˜€

@ Syamsulariff.com

I believe a lot of blogger began blogging using blogspot. However, up to certain extend, most of them converted to wordpress which is far superior… ain’t it?

my 1st blog using catzer.com at wordpress platfom. I knew about blogspot but prefer to have my own domain in which become my test field until now.

I got zero knowledge on computer and internet since im also one of chemical engineering’s student at that time. So, to twist my life 360 degree to reversed-engineering is so much pain to me. However the sweet always came after the pain. πŸ˜€

After decided to stop sending any resume, i believed my faith already written in this path of life. So much fun even sometimes i felt so sad on unable to grab my own ambition.

@ Catzer,

Wow…interesting. We’re from similar background and expertise. If you really want to be an engineer, keep on trying. Perhaps, just try and be an engineer for a year or two.

However, if you decide to totally dwell in the online business world, than that’s equally fine as well. Do it properly and be focus.

FOCUS = Forget other commitment until success!!! πŸ™‚

For me, i want to establish myself as a profound chemical engineer and at the same time earn lucrative income from the net… πŸ˜‰ Well, of course i have to work for it and I’m doing a lot of sacrifice.

am pun zero html dulu… ade budak form 2 ajar am buat myspace dan kemudiannya am belajar buat myspace sendiri… itu dulu…

bila 1st time pakai wp.. am cam dah ade sikit2 basic html.. tapi dia guna php pulak… sempai sekarang am tak pernah belajar dengan sape2 time nak masukkan coding dalam blog wp am… semuanya melalui trial and error.. even untuk adsense pun semuanya am masukkan coding dia sendiri tanpa guna apa-apa plugin..

mula2 nampak cam seday… tapi dah lama2 dah ok nak placing kat mana kan… so sekarang dah ok..

@ Am,

Oh…so you started with myspace?! But it seems that you started straight away using wordpress?! I’m impress.

It really requires some try and error and a lot of experiment to have a cool site. Ain’t it?

13. afham says:

besh2..mari bertukar ke wordpress..

@ Afham,

Yep. WordPress Rock!

15. syia says:

syia pun dulu mule2 gune blogger lepastu wordpress lepastu blogger balik.. something about wordpress yang syia agak tension sebab bile upgrade kan.. nanti mule la ada plugin tak function..

bende2 teknikel ni.. syia tak berminat.. maka better stuck with blogger for the time πŸ™‚

@ syia,

Oh kalau begitu, takpelah, you just stay with blogger. That’s fine as well.

17. webworm says:

Zaki,
    Remember, i am considering to shift wordpress… Infact i have decided to…. just a matter of time. I hope you can asssist me in future.

18. trimarco says:

Someone specifically make seriously blogposts I’d declare. This is the very first time I visited your internet-site website and for that reason considerably? I actually amazed together with the analysis you made for making this kind of send outstanding voucher adwords. Excellent activity!

1. February 20, 2008