Our Langkawi Trip – Part 1

If I have to choose two words to describe our Langkawi trip, they are “exciting” and “tiring”. I’ll elaborate about those 2 words a long the way.

We went to Langkawi on a nice sun shiny Monday from Kuala Perlis. I would like to thank our good Perlis dweller friends, Pidun + Anis and Shini + Zai for all their assistance in making our journey smoother. Pidun has taken a good care of my Proton Waja, helped me picked up the car from a workshop Kangar (some air cond problem – we thought the gas wasn’t enough) and he also helped us get a Proton Wira to be rented (RM60 per day) in Langkawi. Shini + Zai has taken few hours off from work and drove us from Hotel Putra Palace, Kangar to Kuala Perlis jetty in their new Toyota Innova SUV (remember, our Waja was serviced). At the end of our short vacation, Anis fetched us from the Kuala Perlis jetty and got us to our vehicle. We really appreciate their kind assistance and that shows how valuable a friendship is 🙂 .

langkawi ferry

At the jetty, we opted for the ferry which was just about to leave the jetty. We paid 2 adult and 2 children tickets which cost all together RM62. Alya, my youngest daughter was not charged because she is bellow 3 years old. The ferry left the port at 1 pm sharp and we arrived at the jetty in Kuah, Langkawi roughly at about 2 pm. Handling 4 big luggages alone was quite physically challenging. I carried and dragged the bags into and outside the ferry and then into our rented car. Why were there 4 bags? Because it contained attires for me, my wife and my three kids (+ their drypers!!!) for 2 nights and 3 days. On top of that, my wife always have the tendency of bringing extra clothes in case of emergency. While I was lifting those bags, my wife hold tight of my 3 kids along the journey. It was not easy traveling with small kids (5, 3 and 2 years old) but they’re our life and we do not want to be separated from them. We want to spend all the exciting growing up time with them.

langkawi map

The guy who handed us the Proton Wira key gave us a free useful map of Langkawi complete with various tourist attraction and ads printed on it. It was a very informative piece of colourful paper and it helped us finding the direction to the 3 star Awana Porto Malai Hotel, located at south west of Langkawi island. I recommend anybody who wanted to visit Langkawi to get hold of those information paper+map before coming to the island. You can asked your nearby travel agent for it. (We intended to stay at BayView Hotel at Kuah Town. However the rooms are suddenly fully booked).

apm

The journey to the hotel took us about 45 minutes, 15 minutes longer then the normal duration simply because we entered the wrong road. We’ve to make a u turn and after a while safely arrived at Awana Porto Malai. Checking in was simple and easy because we’ve made a reservation and paid earlier using credit card. They gave us a room at the end of the wing because they don’t want our small kids to be interrupted with their very noisy show at night. I’ll make a special review on Awana Porto Malai Hotel very soon. I’m not going to cover the hotel review in this entry.

awana-porto-malai-langkawi

My cute daughters were amazed with the colourful orchid decor at Awana Porto Malai Langkawi open lobby.
awana-porto-malai

My son can now be trusted to snap photos of us… 🙂

The original plan that afternoon after checking in the hotel was to go to Gunung Machincang, the cable car is there; OR to visit Under Water World. However, after consulting with the receptionist, we were informed that those two places are closed at 6.00 pm. So, we changed our plan. Instead, we went to the Bazaar at Kuah Town Center. Various items were up for sell and we feel like buying everything. Luckily, we’re still rational. Who’s going to carry extra luggage later when we are going off from the island??? That will be me. So, we restricted our spending to just few basic items such as chocolates, foods, small souvenirs etc. Then, we had a simple dinner at some nearby restaurant. Finally, we returned to our room at Awana, did some review on what we’ve spent and slept…zzzzz…….

Cash spent on day 2:

1. Car renting: RM 120 (for 2 days)

2. Breakfast+lunch+beverages+dinner: RM19.60

3. Ferry fairs: RM62.00

4. air con repair and service (My Proton Waja): RM 100.00

5. Fuel/petrol: RM20.00

6. Various food/souvenirs: RM215

7. Hotel: RM257.76 (888 offer-paid online 3 days earlier)

Total on Day #2: RM794.36

Total spent (Day#1 + day#2) : RM241 + RM794.36 = RM1035.36.

Please refer to Day # 1 – We’re Presently In Kangar, Perlis for the detail expenditure for day#1 🙂

wahhh bestnyer langkawi 🙂

ler. sempat lagi online tu. langkawi? lama sudah aku tak pergi..

@ KNizam,

He he… It’s true… memang best. But it will be better if we can stay longer 😉

@ Titan,

I’m online here lah in JB. Not in Langkawi. In Langkawi I was flat exhausted…
    It took me almost 48 hours to recover from that very tiring journey!!!

4. zaki blogjer says:

The hotel looks nice and the price is affordable. Maybe next year, when Air Asia have sale again, I’ll be there too

5. topo says:

…………. this is only the jalan2 part… I’m wating for the makan2 part.. hohoohoh

@ Blogjer,

If you want to grab the AirAsia deal, you’d better get the Citibank Air Asia Credit card because it have some early bird offer for their members. Just check it out if you have not had one yet…

More tips…. Better spend more than 2 nights. 3 or 4 nights are better. Well, that’s for me…

@ Topo,

Please be patience… sabar ye… baru part 1 bro…. Penat aku pun tak hilang lagi… 🙂

hehe..aku pun tunggu makan-makan part. mesti ada yang best nanti..terliour mata aku nanti..

8. alie d14 says:

macam kena pegi je ni….more photos please hehe..seriously, tempting pulak ni..baru intro je kan!

@ Titan,

Alamak, aiseyman, ayoyo…. why everybody is looking forward for the food!? To be honest, we were not really concentrating on the food part. Tak sempat bebbb…. The food part is not really interesting… Please do not expect too much on it… OK..

@ Alie,

Eh, I thought you’ve been to Langkawi before! I’ll include more photos off course… 🙂

I intended the Langkawi entries to become sort of a mini guideline for those who haven’t been ti Langkawi. I hope it can be a good reference for them 😉

10. syia says:

uwaa.. syoknye.. nanti bulan 6 ni syia dgn kwn2 plan nak gi langkawi.. cam mana ye bilik hotelnye ok ke? muat x if nak sumbat hehe 6 pompuan hehe

@ Syia,

You can easily survey the conditions, comfortability, rates, prices, reviews of the hotels in Langkawi. We did that prior to going to Langkawi. Suprisingly, in an off peak season, some good hotels in Kuah town are fully book.

Try to search for fantastic offer like what we got. The prices were slashed tremendously. It’s a really superb value for money hotel room package.

My suggestion, conduct a survey and get the best offer out of it.

12. topo says:

lo… food not very interesting ke… kciwa2…. hohoohoho

@ Topo,

Rilex bro. Takkan nak tgk food je. Nanti aku letak serba sedikit je… Kena budget lah, takkan nak makan gempak2 sgt, perbelanjaan lain ada byk kena cover… Sbb tu bab makan, simple dan alakadar je.

14. zool says:

Wah bestnya melancong….
    Bila nak gi sana lagi ni..

15. topo says:

hohoho mkanan mmg mnjadi keutamaanku…. jeles la plak aku tgok ko g langkawi ni… skrg ni aku tgah miss satu holiday kt langkwi yg fully sponsored by cgu aku.. huaaa… apsal la korg p holiday time2 camni… tgu la cuti sem nnti.

hehe. tak apelah kalau xde..:(

apapun..jangan lupa aa buah tangan ke..buah kaki ke..hehe 😀

17. Syam says:

@ syia – boleh sewa apartment kat sana..tapi tak sure brape satu malam..better order siap2 pasal kalau dtg walk in..charge dia mahal

next time dont drive. The last time I went there, i took MAS.

btw, Awana ni ada pantai tak?

1. March 30, 2008

[…] 1 (im still wondering is it the latest version compatible with those plugins?) Happy honey moon to Zaki Yamani who sponsor the small rectangle […]