Should I get my kids a dedicated laptop and Web 2.0?

Last week, I attended Matlab training with my wife, a training that I organized on behalf of the post graduate society (I’m the post graduate society president in my faculty). My pH.D supervisor also participated in the same training and sat next to my wife. On one of the break during the training, we chit chat about our kids… how our kids are performing in school, how they are progressing etc…

She (my supervisor) highlighted that her son who is in standard 4, is crazy about Farmville. It is difficult to go anywhere because he will always want to get back home, to be online, and work on his farmville in his facebook account. I was amazed that his son has already explored the net and meddle with facebook, uploading photos and videos.

After the training, in our white Proton Exora, on our way back home, I discussed with my wife about our kids. We think it is time for us to seriously expose our kids to the computer and internet. Before this, Ikhwan (standard 2 primary school) and Marsya (6) has been exposed to flash games and youtube. Alya (5) will tagged along with her brother and sister infront of the laptop(s).

Maybe now is the time for Ikhwan to utilize the laptop (or computer) for his early education. There are some online tutorial in the net which we or the school can subscribe. Maybe he can also learn to use google to learn many things, off course with our supervision.

Maybe we should get a dedicated personal computer for the kids…

What do you think? Is it too early?

hoho. try jela..

Hmmm… we are thinking of surveying cheap but reliable pc next week… if we have the time… 🙂

3. Rizal says:

hoho…first thing to do after power on the PC, create a full backup, and it will save time on restore the system after hanky panky system error sh*t made by the young engineer….haha

Oh…thanks for that tip. I did not foresee that.

I also like the fact that you call them young engineers… cool… 😉

5. Rizal says:

yeah…start calling them with the good nickname/panggilan puji… not the one that always says ‘lembab’ or any bad words… got one fren that her mother use to called her lembab when se was a child… and guess what… she’s kinda lembab in everything she do…haha… (alasan tanak buat keje cepat pun mcm ya gak…hahaha)

Wow… if that’s the case I need to figure out a quality nickname, such as engineer, architect, businessman, noble price winner… anak soleh, anak solehah…. 🙂

7. green says:

let em love book first.

Owh….yes, you are right. So far they love books. Marsya love books more than her Ikhwan and Alya. They always ask for books from us… So, i think they love book enough…. huhu

9. itisrajah says:

all kids love books, i believe.
    tapi kids nowadays macam sungguh maju!
    tak heran da buku neh.
    bagi je diorang komp and internet.
    bulih ganti their dad blogging.
    the did have their own blog, right?
    =)

Hmmm….maybe yes. I want them to be able to read smoothly in BM and English… and one way of doing that is exposing them to the net which is very resourceful… They can force themselves to read…with full interest hopefully…

Blogging? I don’t mind if they want..I can teach them… 🙂

11. Ezad says:

Bro one of my friend already let her son using Facebook, it’s a shock actually to let a boy just only 6 years old to play with facebook, but at least the boy now already have 22 Friend. that’s mean he far more advance than his friend.. 🙂

P/s : Maybe you can stay with this quiz game

(Is it my grammar ok?..hehe)

Ezad… thanks a million for this info and also the facebook quiz game. I’m not really into FB mainly due to my time…maybe poor time management….but hey…you english are cool… no problem… a little more practice and you’ll be a smooth english writer and communicator… that’s the reason I blog in English…so that i can improve my english…hehe

13. Ezad says:

Thank you.. 🙂

Thanks a lot Ezad…
    I like the website very much.
    I believe my 5 and 6 years old daughter will love it too.

I really appreciate it very much.. 😉

15. Jacky says:

Typically we usually get a few days each witner when temperatures drop below minus 20 C at night. But in recent years -20 C or lower readings have been scarce.