14 Great Things That Blogging Gave Me
I have been blogging since 2006. That means I have been blogging for nearly 6 years. Phewww… time moves very fast and it’s hard to believe I have been blogging that long. Since my passion is writing, I don’t feel blogging as an inconvenient activity to me. In fact via blogging, I managed to channel my love towards writing in blog(s). Blogging have provided me a new dimension in doing what I love because I have been a writer and editor of various newsletters and magazine since I was in primary school until my university live. When I worked as an engineer few years back, I have no platform to write. There were no newsletter or magazine in the place I work, so I cannot write. I only wrote technical reports and proposal. That’s all. Thank God, I learned about blog and straight away write and write and write until today.
From the time I started to blog until today, there were many surprizes which comes directly and indirected from the blog(s). A big chunk of it originated from my first niche blog which is related to chemical engineering. Most of them are great things and I feel it is worth sharing it with all of you. Check them out below:
1. The ability to make money. This is by sure the direct benefit from my blogs. The initial attention was just to write. In fact I did not know that we can make money from blog when I first started a blog. However, after knowing about it, I became more motivated because you tell me who don’t want extra cash? The beauty of it is I don’t have to meet or face people to make money indirectly. It’s also passive income. Cool hah!
2. Make more friends. From blogs, I created more friends from various background, countries, ages etc. It is great to know many people and be friends with them. I get to exchange ideas, information and also help each other in certain aspects. The network grows and some of them in fact become very good friends. We even go for holidays together and visit each others house during festive season (local friends).
3. Temporary Deejay. From the blog network explained in point #2, I managed to have a taste becoming a deejay for an internet radio station – Fuhyoo FM. This was in 2009. Really interesting experience for us bloggers in Johor Bahru.
4. Invitation as speaker in a conference in USA. I received this invitation in 2008 from American Institution of Chemical Engineers. They were interested with my expertise in Chemical Engineering 2.0. I was pretty excited but unfortunately I could not go due to budget constraint at that time. If only they provided my flight ticket, I will surely go.
5. Received hard copy book to be reviewed. This year, a publicist from USA contacted me and asked if I can review a book (novel) which is related to Chemical Engineering fiction. I replied why not. They sent me the book, I read it and make a great review in my blog. After making a review on the novel, they offered me another book for me to review. Hmm…I love doing this.
6. Offer to write book chapter in a book which will be published by John Wiley. I received an invitation to write a book chapter in great academic book in 2010. It’s a chapter related to cooling towers in industry. It took me quite some time to come out with the book chapter and several editing processes. The book is expected to be in market this coming April. Oh…I’m so proud to be a contributor in a book published by John Wiley.
7. Interview by Petroleum African Magazine. The interview was about Trends in Plate Heat Exchanger which was published in Petroleum African Magazine in Oct 2011. It’s cool to received such exposure.
8. Received various interesting and funny emails from chemical engineering students etc. This is one of the interesting experiences being a blogger. There were times I received emails on a daily basis from students and engineers asking questions and also input on their issues. Now, luckily the number of emails have reduced but I do also received messages in Facebook, asking this and that…opinions and comments. Some of them are welcoming while some are impolite. Among the impolite ones are such as asking me to do their design project!!! What!!! Are you kidding me? Who do you think I am? I’ll normally ignore such rude emails. However, for the rest of the emails, I’ll try to help in what ever capacity I can and have.
9. Invitation to be Industrial Supervisor. I was invited to be an industrial supervisor for chemical engineering design project group in a local university in Klang Valley in 2008.
10. Invitation as a visiting professor to deliver lecture. I was also invited to give a 2 hour lecture (as a visiting professor) in one of my favourite topic (related to chemical engineering) in a local university north of peninsular Malaysia in 2008. It was a first class treatment. They gave me a huge hotel room and all sort of allowances and remuneration. They also paid me handsomely for my 2 hours lecture. Oh…I love this. I was invited because few of the lecturers there noticed me discussed something about the topic that was in their syllabus.
11. My own book published. In extension to point #9 above, my lecture was compiled and published as a book. I think that’s very cool as well. I have my own book written under my name published by the university.
12. Invitation as a technical reviewer. And today, I received an email from a publisher inviting me to be a technical reviewer for a book. Hmmm… I think this can be another contribution from me to the academic society.
13. Invitation to Iskandar Regional Development Authority (IRDA) meeting. This happened last year and I was invited as my capacity as JBCool.com presence to discuss the sustainability of Johor Bahru township.
14. Writer for WAVES Magazine. I am also one of the writers from a Johor Bahru based magazine called WAVES Lifestyle. The owner of the magazine approached me because of JBCool.com as well. It’s a monthly publication magazine. If you want to grab hold of the digital copy, you can get it at JBCool.com.
I think I will stop there. There are several more that I cannot remember. I think the list above is quite sufficient to proof how blogging has helped me do new fun & exciting stuffs. I believe some of you also have great things that directly or indirectly come from blogging. Hope you can share it with us.
If you like to read my musing, why don’t you subscribe to me. Just click here, register and verify your email. You will then get email updates whenever I published my new rambling!!! You can also “LIKE” Cyza Sector Facebook or “Follow My Twitter“.
p/s: Have you downloaded my FREE “230 Make Money Sites” report?